maandag 16 november 2015

Life in the moominvalley

My time here in Turku is really amazing, I met some awesome people, made great friends and have undertaken and seen unforgetable things. I have an amazing practical placement were I learn al the things of the social welfare system and how it is changing, but also what it takes to work in a ward where youngsters are observed, assessed and their problems explored while they can't go anywhere. I learn and discover everytime I'm there. I even learned a few new cardgames and the positivity of some youngsters I will always cherish in my heart.

 But also the rest of my staying here is memorable. I've visit forests which gave me the feeling I was walking around the Shire of Lord of the Rings. Visit islands with gave me the feeling I was traveling trough Moria, also a place in Lord of the Rings. Been to amazing cities, where nature was also closeby. This gave the impression that Narnia is real. But instead traveling trough a wardrobe, I traveld by bus. Because who uses wardrobes anyway these days, it is all clossets. I ate Finnish, German, Swiss, French, Turkish, Korean, Chinese, Italian, Dutch, Austerian, Russian, Polish, Czech, Greek, Israeli, Pakistani, Mexican, Belgian, Canadian, Kenian, Maroccan, South African and many many more food from many many more countries and cultures. I've seen icehockey, volleyball, honkball and floorball matches. Some only once, some many times already. I myself sports also quite a lot, I swim, run and do yoga. And soon I will have my first steps into artic survival and huskey racing. I also have plesure that I can enjoy the sauna at least once per week with great company. I also have great company when I go to clubs, bars or hang a round at my or someone else place. I learned more about other cultures then I could ever dream of and also new and intressting things about my own Dutch culture. I'm glad that this big fairytale of cultural experiences and friendship continues for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunally, life is not a fairytale. Unfortunally, not everyone embrasses cultural diffrences as I (and luckily many others do). The attacks in Paris are a reminder of this. But also the bombing in Beirut, Libanon shocks me. But what about the other horrors in the world: east Ukraine, Syria, Irak Africa and many more places we don't hear. Who knows  how many horrors the world has to endure. And still it saddens me everytime when I hear it. But I don't let the sadnes ruin my life, I'm to much idealistic for that. I know that Turku isn't the only city in the world where diffrent cultures meet eachother and learn from eachother. My mom always told me when I was little that I should never gave up believing in fairytales and dreams, because there could always a time and place I need just that. I believe and dream of the fairytale that in the end, we can all get along with eachother. If we give up that dream, the whole world will fall appart. Or as A Friend In London on the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 in Düsseldorf once sang:

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You're the diamonds, you're the pearls
Let's make a new tomorrow

Come on girls, come on boys
It's your future, it's your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let's make a new tomorrow
Today

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten