zondag 31 januari 2016

Post Finland depression

Yesterday my Finland adventure came to an end, for now. Since I returned home to the Netherlands after 5 months of Finland. Now I have to get used to the Netherlands and it's weird costums. To top it all, my school here starts tomorrow!

Still it felt a little weird to be here again. I was totaly home in Finland and even cycling through the snow in -30°c was not that bad as it sounds, it was even fun. Because I always knew a nice and warm sauna was waiting for me. But now, no sauna, no snow and no Finns, just plain and simple the Netherlands. With all it's weird habits and traits. But well, they say it is home.

It is weird to talk Dutch all the time, since I am not used to use it all the time anymore. Especiallly in the last month in Kokkola I never spoke Dutch. It was mostly English and every now and then I even spoke Finnish. Since Kokkola has a lot of Swedish speaking people near, I even learned some Swedish. But my Finnish is still way better then my Swedish, although I'm still to shy to use it frequently. For now, it the Dutch life again. With cheap Ikea breakfast, hysterical conversations about all the things I did in Turku and Kokkola and everyone wants to see my new piercing. Also everyone wanted to know if I didn't find it cold here in the Netherlands. Ofcourse Finland is subtropical with -30°c and 25cm snow, but I think I can survive the Dutch weather, at least I hope. Otherwise we will notice it soon enough. My Finnishnis continues in weird ways, I don't wear shoes in the house, I tried to load my public transport allowance on my föli card, almost asked if Ikea had studend discount, my  mom had to remind me I had to prepare my own lunch for school since it is to expencive to buy it there. I also it feels weird I can't go to sauna for free. It feels also quite weird not to hear and see Finnish all the time. But I hope I get used to it soon. Luckily my family and friends help me to get used to the Netherlands again. For now it still feels I mis that little moomin valley up north.

You can get someone out of Finland, but you never get Finland out of someone!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten