vrijdag 23 oktober 2015

The Finn inside of me

As I pointed out before, traveling with public transport is completly diffrent in Finland the in the Netherlands. In Finland, all Finns are silent or have a conversation you hardly hear. In the Netherlands we discuss our sexlife, personal troubles, gossip or what ever is in our mind in public transport. We don't care if anyone hears us. We just pretent we are the only ones there.
 
Unlike Finns, we like to talk to strangers. So if we want to talk but travel alone, we talk to strangere. Because why wont you, traveling with someone is much more fun, even when you never saw that person before. Finns are dying if someone does and they want to dissapear in the chair. The Dutch see it as an oppertunity to meet new friends or have a good time while using the public transport.
 
Writing all this, I have the feeling that I'm more Finnish then Dutch in this case. I like the silent when traveling by public transport and I want listen to music. I surely don't want to hear the livestory of a stranger or that a old couple shows me pictures of their grandchild who shits on the toilet for the first time. Maybe we can fill one half of the train with Finns or the other half with Dutch in a social experiment. Do the Finns stare and ignore the Dutch to silence or do the Finns get loose and talketive thanks to the worshippers of small talk? But on the other hand, if Finns get talketive I can't travel in silence anymore in Finland. But then Finland can also introduce silent compartments, where they fine you when you talk or make noice. After the famous (Dutch) warning that they will fine you the next time.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten